The JISC Process Mapping InfoKit was used to educate the project team on process mapping. There were three types of approaches to process mapping that were discussed. There were three teams of seven to eight administrators in each action research group. Each group eventually decided on a preferred approach to documenting their processes, but ideally using flow diagram, on paper.
This was the first iteration of a mapped process using Archimate. These steps were captured by the a group of eight administrators in this action research group.
This process is managed by the administrators following receipt of the student’s application.
Following the process mappings, a process modeller used Archi to digitally map the processes.
Archi, is an open source modeling tool that uses ArchiMate to create architecture diagrams. Archi, was developed by the University of Bolton, as a support, and entry-level tool for Enterprise Architecture.
This is a process that was mapped using Archi:
The first meetings of the action researchers involved an overview of the following and was facilitated by the Project Manager:
- the role of the project facilitators
- the role of the action researchers
- the role of the team leader
- the project and project timeline
- the JISC tools and infokits to be used
- the method of communication and recording activities
A training needs analysis of the skills needed by the administrators to participate in the project was undertaken by the staff development team. The analysis determined the following skills as being essential:
- action research principles and research skills
- process mapping skills
- working as a member of a project team
- conducting meetings, chairing and minute taking
- use of the Moodle VLE for recording and sharing project activities internally
- writing and presenting business change proposals
- influencing and negotiating skills
- affecting change – both organisationally and individually
It was decided that administrators could opt in to personal development during the project, depending on their own perception of individual needs. However, with action research and process mapping skills being imperative, it was decided that a training session would be offered prior to the start of the project.